Joint Committee on Food Equipment

Comment #12527: Verifying Organism Density

• 1.  Comment #12527: Verifying Organism Density

Posted 04-18-2024 04:20 PM
    Beth Glynn, REHS added comment "Verifying Organism Density" to the document "3i22r1 - Verifying Organism Density - JC Memo and Ballot.pdf" in the "Joint Committee on Food Equipment" group.

Subject: Verifying Organism Density
    Category: N/A
    Comment
    • Support - adopting VRB agar language on pour plating. 
    • Support with reservations - the use of density standards to estimate cell counts.

Proposal

I connected with our resident microbiologist to get an opinion on this proposed wording change. His comments are below: 

• In regards to verifying organism density, I am aligned with adopting the language around pour plating using VRB agar. 
    • However, I do have hesitancy in relation to using density standards to estimate cell counts.
    • Given the performance standards around demonstrating a 5+ log reduction, I feel that it would be more difficult to get an accurate reading for starting concentration compared to using optical density or pour plating assessments.
    • In short, I would be fine with adopting VRB agar language on pour plating but not necessarily on the use of density standards.

I do not have a specific proposed solution but given the number of voting members who have abstained, I wonder if additional education about the existing methodology and the rationale for the proposed changes would be useful.

Comment Number: #12527
    Submitter: Beth Glynn, REHS
    Date submitted: 2024-04-18 20:19:31
    View Comment Details
    View Document Details
    Download Document

---------------------------------
    Beth Glynn, REHS Senior Quality Assurance Manager
    Senior Quality Assurance Manager
    Starbucks Coffee Company
    206-498-0814 Senior Quality Assurance Manager
    bglynn@starbucks.com